Choosing the Right Domain Name for Your Website
Your domain name is the first thing people notice when visiting your website. It might seem like a small detail in comparison to all other aspects of your website, but it just as important. A domain name plays a crucial role in your company by:
- Providing a first impression. Your website URL should be memorable and create a positive impression among your audience. We know to never judge a book by its cover, but an unflattering domain name can turn people away from your website before they even view it.
- Defining your brand. A good domain name increases familiarity and recognition for your company. Using interesting words—or even creating new ones—when choosing a domain name differentiates your brand from the millions of generic and monotonous domain names that are already out there.
- Influencing SEO. SEO (search engine optimization) is the process of gaining web traffic from users that is “organic,” “natural,” “free,” or “editorial.” Your domain name should reflect what your company does without sounding generic. For example, Minute Maid, a company that sells orange juice, owns and markets the domain MinuteMaid.com—not OrangeJuice.com. This allows the company to brand itself more effectively and have a more significant presence in search engine results.
The process of choosing a domain name is similar to choosing a company name; it takes time, energy, thought, and consideration. Your domain name is your company identity, and finding the perfect fit is not easy.
Try following these tips to make your domain name search as smooth as possible:
- Keep it short and simple.
- Make sure it is not confusing to the reader.
- Try using keywords.
- Stand out from the crowd.
- Avoid hyphens and numbers.
- Stay relevant to your expertise.
- Aim for a .com extension.
- Do your research!
Do you have questions about your current domain name, or are you looking to create one? Give D4 Advanced Media a call! We would love to discuss your visions, so let’s set up a free consultation today!
Ready to start your project?